Each resident completes a scholarly project by the end of their residency as both an ACGME and program requirement. Our residents use these projects to explore and invest in their varied skills and interests, with opportunities to present at the Department of Pediatrics Annual Research Day as well as other regional and national conferences.
Common types of projects:
- With IRB approval or exemption
- Quality Improvement (QI)
- Class QI project qualifies if the resident is a project leader
- Case Report or Series
- Medical Education & Health Equity
- Recent example: Structural Competency Curriculum
- Includes projects done as part of the MERITS, Med-Ed, and LUCENT track
Recent Resident/Alumni Publications
- Acholonu, C: Multiple publications for ABC News
- Alali M, et al. Febrile Neutropenia Syndromes in Children: Risk Factors and Outcomes of Primary, Prolonged, and Recurrent Fever. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2021 Jun 16. PMID: 34133386.
- Alali M, Giurcanu M, Elmuti L, Kumar M. Pediatric Invasive Fungal Risk Score in Cancer and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Patients With Febrile Neutropenia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2021 Jul 1. PMID: 34224520.
- Wielicka M, Hageman J. Age is Just a Number: Evidence of Accelerated Biological Aging in Adults Born Extremely Low Birth Weight. Neonatology Today. July 2021.
- Hoover L, Wielicka M. The Lingering Long COVID-19. Illinois Pediatrician. 2021
- Neubauer-Geryk J, Wielicka M, Kozera G, Myśliwiec M, Zorena K, Bieniaszewski L. Common carotid pulsatility is deteriorated by autoimmune thyroiditis in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus – A pilot study. Physiol Rep. 2020;8(15):e14518. doi:10.14814/phy2.14518.
- Alali M, David MZ, Danziger-Isakov LA, Elmuti L, Bhagat PH, Bartlett AH. Pediatric Febrile Neutropenia: Change in Etiology of Bacteremia, Empiric Choice of Therapy and Clinical Outcomes. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2020 Aug;42(6):e445-51. PMID: 32404688.
- Gerstle K, Siddiqui A, Schulte JJ, Cohn SL. Paraneoplastic opsoclonus myoclonus syndrome associated with inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor in a pediatric patient. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 Aug;67(8):e28218. PMID: 32472953.
- Alali M, David MZ, Danziger-Isakov LA, Bartlett AH, Petty LA, Schwartz T, Pisano J. Association Between Depth of Neutropenia and Clinical Outcomes in Febrile Pediatric Cancer and/or Patients Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem-cell Transplantation. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2020 Jul;39(7): 628-633. PMID: 32176187.
- Georgette N, Kumar M. A Teenager with Leg Rash, Fevers, and Positional Dyspnea. Clin Peditr (Phila). 2020 Jul;9922820941641. PMID: 32674603.
- Cahaney C, Stefancin P, Coulehan K, Parker RI, Preston T, Goldstein J, et al. Anatomical brain MRI study of pediatric cancer survivors treated with chemotherapy: Correlation with behavioral measures. Magn Reson Imaging. 2020 Jun;72:8-13. PMID: 32526251.
- Gerstle K, Hashmat S, Clardy C, Hageman JR. Pediatric Hypertension and End-Stage Renal Disease. Pediatric Ann. 2020 Jun;49(6):e258-61. PMID: 32520366.
- Stefancin P, Cahaney C, Parker RI, Preston T, Coulehan K, Hogan L, et al. Neural correlates of working memory function in pediatric cancer survivors treated with chemotherapy: an fMRI study. NMR Biomed. 2020 Jun;33(6):e4296. PMID: 32215994.
- Gerstle K, Tanager K, Hegde S, Chung JH, Husain AN, Applebaum MA, Dyamenahalli U. Pleuroparenchymal fibroelastosis in an 8-year old treated for neuroblastoma. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020 Mar;55(3):E1-E4. PMID: 31944579.
- Alali M, David MZ, Ham SA, Danziger-Isakov LA, Bartlett AH, Petty L, Pisano JC. Febrile Neutropenia in Children: Etiologies, Outcomes, and Risk Factors with Prolonged Fever. OBM Transplant. 2020 Feb;4(1):15. doi:10.21926/obm.transplant.2001102.
- Batton E, Alali M, Hageman JR, Parilla M, Yu KOA. Kikuchi-Fujimoto Disease in Children: An Important Diagnostic Consideration for Cervical Lymphadenitis. Pediatric Ann. 2019 Oct;48(10):e406-11. PMID: 31610000.
- Gerstle K, Hur MH, Moussa T. Pediatric Anti-NMDA-R Encephalitis: Presentation, Diagnosis, and Management. Pediatric Ann. 2019 Oct;48(10):e387-90. PMID: 31609996.
- Mataya L, Lysouvakon P. Case 4: Delayed Passage of Meconium, Abdominal Distension, and Emesis in a 2-day-old Girl. Pediatr Rev. 2019 Jun;40(60:310-2. PMID: 31152105.
- Barron Alemany JR and Akarah T. Case 2: Fever, Chills, and Abdominal Pain in a 4-year-old Girl. Pediatr Rev. 2019 Mar;40(3):142-44. PMID: 30824499.
- Hickey E and Hoehn KS. Why Follow-Up Matters: Fatigue and Function After PICU Stay. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2019 Feb;20(2):211-2. PMID: 30720663.
- Moussa T, Afzal K, Cooper J, Rosenberger R, Gerstle K, Wagner-Weiner L. Pediatric anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis with catatonia: treatment with electroconvulsive therapy. Pediatr Rheumatol Online J. 2019 Feb;17(1):8. PMID: 30777097.
- Mataya L, Patel N and Azzam RK. Autoimmune Liver Diseases in Children. Pediatric Ann. 2018 Nov 1;47(11):e452-7. PMID: 30423188.
- Hamp N, Zimmerman A, Hoffen J. Advocating for Automatic Eligibility for Early Intervention Services for Children Exposed to Lead. Pediatric Ann. 2018 Oct;47(10):e413-8. PMID: 30308678.
- Levin R, Jung JM, Forrey L and Glick J. Refusal of Vitamin K Injection: Survey of the Current Literature and Practical Tips for Pediatricians. Pediatric Ann. 2018 Aug;47(8):e334-8. PMID: 30102758.
Recent Resident Presentations at National/International Conferences
- Govind V, Samaraweera H, Kim TY, Venturelli N, Bakshi N, Thomas J. More to Their Stories: Developing a Resident and Community Led Structural Competency Curriculum. Association of Pediatric Program Directors 2021. Virtual due to pandemic.
- Mbadiwe N, Georgette N, et al. Early Aggressive Intravenous Crystalloid Fluid is Associated with Worse Outcomes in Pediatric Trauma Patients. Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) 2020. Abstract only; conference cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- Bermonth MVS, Chan K, Lemelman M, et al. Diazoxide-responsive Hyperinsulinemic Hypoglycemia (HH) Complicated by Pulmonary Hypertension (PH) and Requiring ECMO in a Case Found to Have a Novel KDM6A Kabuki Syndrome (KS) Mutation. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Feltman D, Carlos C, Batton E and Andrews B. Do Ethical Cultures Drive Perinatal Care? Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Elsabbagh E, Alali M, and Hageman J. Burden of Febrile Neutropenia in Pediatric Cancer Patients: Insight from Kids’ Inpatient Database. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Elsabbagh E and Hageman J. Predictors, Rates and Costs Associated with Hospital Readmission for Clostridium Difficile Infection within 90 Days of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation: Insight from the Nationwide Readmission Database. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Goldberg L, Chan K, Timmer C, Nowicki E, Manjunath A, Reno K and Volerman A. The Sugar Show: A Pediatric Resident-led Obesity Prevention Program for Elementary School Students. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Hashmat S, Mahavadi V, Singh J, Menchaca C, Hageman J. QI Project to Improve Identification and Follow up of Neonates with Acute Kidney Injury to prevent Chronic Kidney Disease. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Kim C, Aith A, Schneider S, Krasity B, Mayampurath A, and Claud E. Antibiotic Stewardship in the Preterm Infant Population at Risk for Early-Onset Sepsis. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Nishitani M, Orlov N. Needs Assessment of Board Preparation Curriculum and Certification Rates Among U.S. Pediatric Residency Programs. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Teixeira da Silva D, Glick J, Burnet D, et al. Improving outpatient care coordination for children and infants involved with the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS). Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Umana J, Torre J, Kilaru M, Arora V, Fahrenbach J, Ahmed F, Chohlas-Wood R and Peddinti R. Early Findings from Implementation of Individualized Pain Plans for Young Adults with Sickle Cell Disease. Pediatric Academic Societies 2019. Baltimore, Maryland.
- Barron JR, Raghubeer S, Hoehn S. Codes, Loss, and Burnout: How Do They Impact Us and Our Patients? American Academic of Pediatrics 2018. Orlando, Florida.